From Paul Gibson via e-mail to churches and pastors on October 15:
Dear Friends: I have a few things that I want to share with you that are important for us.
- At our annual gathering in Bloomington we made a big decision. We decided to go to a biennial instead of an annual meeting. That means our next gathering will be in Sept 2020.
- We also changed the number of Board officers. We now will only have a president and a vice-president. We removed the second vice-president and changed the term of office to two years. Our three ministry committees remain the same.
- Our new president is David Bilyeu, pastor at FBC Greenville.
4. Our vice president is Claudia McCain, retired pastor from FBC Macomb (currently serving as interim pastor at FBC Macomb.
5. In May of 2019, 2021, and 2023, we will be sponsoring a conference with Northern Seminary and Judson University. It is called the REsource conference, and will be held in Bloomington, May 9-11, 2019. Plan now to attend this great gathering.
6. Our region voted to accept a new ministry to officially be affiliated with ABCGRR. That ministry is the American Baptist Jail Ministry, also known as the Cook County Jail Ministry. They have ministry at the Cook County jails, Livingston County Jail, Danville State, and the penitentiary outside Joliet. If you receive any info from them, just know that they are now an official ministry partner with ABCGRR. We are proud to be involved with this great ministry.
So many good things happened at our gathering in Bloomington that I really don’t have the space to mention them all. The speakers were tremendous, but I want to share something they shared with me. Both Tony and Shane made this same comment, “wow, your missionaries are tremendous. If this is what the ABC is about, there is great hope for American Baptists”.
Needless to say, I was proud. Well, I don’t know if you made it this far into the letter. If you did, I want you to know that I appreciate you and your ministry. And as always, be rightly related to God and find your joy there, and out of you will flow rivers of living water. Be a vessel that God can pour His love through. LET IT FLOW.